Old 16-08-2011, 04:34 PM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz[_3_] View Post
This year it had no blossom and therefore no fruit but plenty of foliage.
May be a bit young to be fruiting off anyway, so don't worry.

Did you prune it? You might have pruned off all the flower buds. Apple varieties vary in where they locate their flowering buds and the strategy of "shorten all branches" can lead to no flowers on some varieties. You need to encourage some shorter side-shoots on such varieties so the tree doesn't get too straggly if, like me, you have one like that. Also I lost some apple blossom this year because the buds were encouraged into an early break out of dormancy in the near frostless Jan and Feb, and then got trashed by some sharp frosts in March. So only small crops for me this year. Trees in many other areas are heavily laden.