Old 16-08-2011, 06:26 PM posted to rec.gardens
Brooklyn1 Brooklyn1 is offline

Default Top broken out of walnut tree

gregz wrote:
gregz wrote:
Brooklyn1 wrote:
zxcvbob wrote:

The entire top of a black walnut tree at the back of the church property
broke off about 20' up; looks like a windstorm got it (but I don't
remember any strong winds recently.) I can either cut the top off clean
where it broke and let the tree try to grow back, or I can cut the tree
down. To safely fell the tree, I probably need to trim the broken part
off first anyway.

I assume the tree will send up a plethora of watersprouts if I leave
just a trunk there. Will a it grow back into a respectable tree from
that if I thin the watersprouts to the 3 or 4 biggest ones? Would they
also need spreaders or ropes to grow them more laterally instead of
straight up?

Or is the tree doomed and I should just cut it now and plant something else?

Could have been struck by lightening... sounds like that tree needs a
physical exam by an arborist before proceding

If lightning hit it, it would not have a clean cut. I would show what the
tree looks like across the street, but not now. It literally exploded in
the middle. Shredded down the center from the steam. Sections blown out.

Lightening never strikes the same twice.

I found a pine down on my property. Pretty clean cut. I looked over about
25 feet to see where it came from.

Here is severe lightning damage. The storm woke everyone up around town. A
loud evil sounding crack, then a Santa in my closet saying ho ho ho, merry
Christmas. I had to get up after that.

http://zekfrivolous.com/home/tree.JPG

Spruce tend to split easily. Different woods behave differently from
lightening strikes... and of course each lightening strike is
different. Age, tree size, and tree health also affect the damage
from a lightening strike.... there are infinite variables... it's
silly to say what kind of damage should ensue from lightening, better
chance of guessing about earthquakes.