Old 16-08-2011, 07:12 PM posted to rec.gardens
Priscilla H. Ballou Priscilla H. Ballou is offline

Default White stuff on lawn

In article ,
"Steve B" wrote:

I called the nursery today, and this is a form of fungi. To be killed with
moldicide or common laundry soap. We do watch Lacy closely, and she is
getting better about eating anything. And we keep things out of her reach.
She is such a loving little dog. The other one, too. Those you get at
rescue centers seem so thankful. The other one will find any new scratch or
booboo you get, and lick it. I think she might be one of those cancer
finding dogs, as she finds my booboos many times before I notice them
myself.

About eight years ago I adopted a feral kitten. He'd spent the first
3-4 months of his life living essentially under a dumpster with his mom
and his 4-5 siblings. (All were eventually trapped and placed in good
homes.) Well, OK, someone came by from time to time and opened cans of
catfood for them, but basically they were fending for themselves.

I spent 2.5 months socializing him in the guest room, away from my other
cats, so he would bond to me at least a little before he bonded with
them. That's all another story.

The story I wanted to tell you, though, is that at first, once he was
out in the general population, he stole food every chance he got. I was
once stuffing chicken breasts when I turned around just for a second.
Before I knew it, he was up on the counter, grabbed 1/2 a chicken
breast, jumped down, and was making a run for it. I grabbed him, pried
apart his jaws, removed the chicken breast, and said, "No!" Then I
rinsed off the chicken breast and continued stuffing it. What one
doesn't know can't hurt one.

It took him several years to learn that he really could count on me to
put down dry food for free feeding and wet food once a day. When the
food is down, he'll finish off anyone else's who walks away, but he
knows he'll get food now.

So, your little Lacy will probably eventually learn. It will take time
and patience, but it sounds like you've got those a-plenty.

One of the fun things with Sebbie (the former feral), aside from his
slowly getting more and more trusting (he will now stretch out in my lap
to be petted, and has even allowed me to lean down and kiss the top of
his head as he lay on the table!), is introducing him to new foods.
He'd never met seafood and, while the occasional dish of tuna seemed
like a bit of all right to him, the treats of shrimp or scallop that the
others got on rare occasions just puzzled him. However, he has now
discovered that that "bacon" stuff that his brother Benjamin will
receive gently in his jaws is pretty darned good, and Sebbie will scarf
up a small piece dropped on the floor in front of him.

It's a lot of fun making him happy, and I'll bet you'll have a good time
watching Lacy relax and enjoy being loved.

Priscilla