Old 16-08-2011, 05:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_3_] Baz[_3_] is offline

Default Coffee Kills Slugs

"Bertie Doe" wrote in
:

Much has been written in various coffee forums over the years,
regarding research done by Robert Hollingsworth's at the USDA facility
in Hilo Hawaii. The killer effects of caffeine on slugs and snails
appeared in 'Nature' on the 27 June 02 :-
http://www.nature.com/news/2002/0206...s020624-8.html
http://preview.tinyurl.com/6f54hoq

They used a drench containing 1 - 2% caffeine. This is quite strong,
perhaps 20 - 40 times the strength found in a cuppa Joe, which only
contains about 0.05% caffeine. However it did state that only "0.01%
caffeine puts the pests off their dinner". This being only one fifth
the amount found in a cup of instant.

On the downside is the comment by Notts Uni about the likely harmful
effects on beneficial insects. This has to be weighed against the
possible adverse effects of Metaldehyde (blue pellets) added to the
soil.

If anyone wishes to experiment with coffee, I would suggest making up
a strong solution of say, 10 rounded teaspoonful's of instant to a
lire of warm water. If you are about to buy instant coffee, go for the
cheapest brands available. These are likely to be Robusta coffee from
Vietnam. Avoid Arabica coffee, it tastes nicer, but it has a lower
caffeine content.

I don't drink instant, but since November, I've been saving the spent
grounds and pucks from my cafetiere and espresso machine. I boiled up
about 2 kilos and added to 5 litres of water. The day before spraying
(in late June) I found under a piece of slate) a medium sized light
brown slug, a giant dark brown and a garden snail. Here's what
happened:-

2 slugs and one snail get woken with coffee
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7913357...in/photostream

Rapid exit of all 3 but slugs trail their innards
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7913357...in/photostream

Pot overlaid to keep off sun
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7913357...in/photostream

Next morning, slugs have dissolved, but snails survived in roof of
flowerpot
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7913357...in/photostream

Ok so 6 weeks ago I sprayed my lettuce, courgettes and dwarf beans. So
far no slug damage despite the torrents of rain of late. Snails have
been deterred, but I noticed one or two visiting this pm, so I will
make up another batch tomorrow. Enjoy your supper.
Bertie

When will you slug haters learn?
No fancy coffe grinds!

Save the egg shells from your familly and friends and neighbours. Crush
them up and use it on problem areas untill you have enough to give away.

Have you ever seen a slug or snail creeping over gravel?

Egg shells are similar but also are worm food and break down over time.

Baz