Old 16-08-2011, 05:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Young apple tree advice please.

"Baz" wrote

I will give it some potash and leave well alone.

And prune this winter? What I was going to do is give it a dressing down,
as in taking off a few branches because it has too many.

Sounds Ok but if you don't know the variety it may be a tip bearer and
pruning may cause you not to have any fruit. Cut out a few branches but
don't do any more, certainly don't cut off any ends of branches.
Recently whilst in SW France I was told that Bramleys don't fruit there,
it's a big fruit growing region with huge orchards so no reason they
shouldn't. Asking questions I found out the Bramley had been pruned the same
as their other apple trees and therefor they had cut off the flowering buds.
Still not sure they believed me.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
W.of London. UK