Old 17-08-2011, 01:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Help with Pear tree

"Gadge" wrote in message

Hi, I have a established pear tree (unknown on the type) in my garden.
Problem is i never get an good pears from it. They never look too good
and nearly always have maggots in them!

I would like to have a tree where i could simply pull a pear off and eat
there and then I've attached some photos. I think it may be a sick
tree?

Any help would be great.

Here are the photos:
http://tinyurl.com/3qkqkbj
http://tinyurl.com/4x92qh3
http://tinyurl.com/3wruvek
http://tinyurl.com/3pxouzp
http://tinyurl.com/3hvatap

--
Gadge

First thing that struck me was how good the fruit looked!
Two problems, pear midge and pear scab, you can grow resistant varieties but
the crop you have now is probably as good as you are going to get without
spraying. and the pear scab affecting the leaves does not seem to have
infected the fruit (which it often does here causing deep cracks and
rendering them inedible) the small maggots inside the fruit could be pear
midge but that normally makes the fruit drop before its mature, if its one
of the sawflies you may find grease banding the trees in winter is all
that's needed and there are pheromone traps for some pest as well.

I am not sure these days what is allowed in terms of winter tar oil washes
but the idea of a damn good clean up of fallen leaves etc can make a big
difference to the amount of scab as can the weather. I am afraid we do
nothing on the grounds that 10% of perfect fruit is more than we can eat
anyway!

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs