Old 17-08-2011, 09:16 PM
lannerman lannerman is offline
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave East View Post
Our Cosco store is selling some terrific olive trees at the moment.

We now want to put ours in a bigger pot than it came in. Would a plastic or
earthernware pot suit it best? (from the water retention point of view,
rather than the look of it).

It looks like its been planted in ordinary peat type compost. We thought we
would replant it in John Innes No3.

Would you say that's the best soil for it please?
Hi Dave East, further to other good advice, if its looking healthy at the moment, I'd be inclined not to re-pot it until next spring. Regarding compost JI3 will be fine but add about 1/3rd (by volume) of B and Q mulitipurpose compost and dont be tempted to put it into too large a pot, they dont like being overpotted, just a couple of sizes bigger at the most. I buy loads in from Portugal and they survived -12 oC as i kept them very dry, so under existing trees or the eaves of the house will be fine but as has been said, dont let the roots freeze thats fatal !
Lannerman.