Old 17-08-2011, 09:30 PM
lannerman lannerman is offline
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoeHart View Post
Hello I'm very new to gardening. I have recently bought two Clematis Montana plants, I've put them in the ground about a week ago they
Seem to be doing ok but I was wondering if anyone has any good tips on how to keep it thriving and doing well. I live in east Yorkshire and a little worried about the winter ahead, I bought it from A well known retail shop. Is it a thirsty plant? Will it last through winter should I protect them I don't know much really :-) ty
Heres a very general rule for not only climbers but lots of shrubs as well, 'if it flowers AFTER the end of June- prune in the spring (as its flowering on the current years growth) If it flowers BEFORE the end of June- prune after flowering. There are of course exceptions eg. Hydrangeas but most spring flowering plants set and carry the flower buds over winter !
Lannerman.