Old 18-08-2011, 12:09 AM posted to rec.gardens
Chris Thompson[_2_] Chris Thompson[_2_] is offline

Default when to pick corn?

Todd wrote in :

On 08/16/2011 08:42 AM, Kay Lancaster wrote:
Do you know how to pick "store corn" by examining the silks and
feeling the kernels through the husk?

Actually, I don't. My corn, so far, comes frozen in plastic bags
with no cobs in sight. And purchased in a grocery store WHERE
NO PLANTS OR ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE PROCESS! :-D

Thank you for the help.

-T

If you have a garden and a composter, you are missing out on a treat.

My local supermarket puts a trash can near the corn bin to let people husk
their corn before they take it home. I bring a huge trash bag to the matket
this time of year and take all the husks home, and put them straight into
the compost. They rot really fast, even if you don't shred them (cobs are
another matter- 2 years for those guys, so I just recycle them into the
bin).

Back in the day when I grabbed a couple of little plastic bags of husks and
the checkout girl looked at me funny, I explained that my guinea pig loved
the husks (and she did, and feeding her them cured her of scurvy- did you
know guinea pigs, like humans, are one of the few mammals that cannot
produce ascorbic acid? I found out when all of Brownie's fur fell out(

But now I am unapologetic. After all, I am doing them a favor by reducing
their trash load.

Chris