Old 18-08-2011, 09:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Help with Pear tree

On Aug 17, 2:16*pm, Baz wrote:
Gadge wrote in news:Gadge.8c133d6
@gardenbanter.co.uk:

Hi, I have a established pear tree (unknown on the type) in my garden.
Problem is i never get an good pears from it. They never look too good
and nearly always have maggots in them!

I would like to have a tree where i could simply pull a pear off and eat
there and then I've attached some photos. I think it may be a sick
tree?

Any help would be great.

Here are the photos:
http://tinyurl.com/3qkqkbj
http://tinyurl.com/4x92qh3
http://tinyurl.com/3wruvek
http://tinyurl.com/3pxouzp
http://tinyurl.com/3hvatap

I think it is a Conference pear.

I have a mature one which was in the garden when I bought the house.

Mine looks just like yours with all the green cankery stuff on the
branches, and spot on the leaves.

It is neccessary to remove any pears which touch each other because that is
where the pesky grubs eggs are laid. You need a single pear per truss. Take
off up to 2/3 or 66% of pears on the entire tree if it is laden with them..

I don't think you can just pick and eat, well at least I have never been
able to. I have found that just when turning a yellowy colour to pick them
and keep for a week or 2 until they are soft enough to eat.

You need to prune it when the tree is dormant, and would advise you to
google this to get a firm understanding. Pruning correctly will promote
sturdy fruit growth.

True it looks a sick tree, but mine is the same, as I said, and always has
been since we moved here. We always get nice enough pears with a bit of
effort.

Hope this helps.
Baz- Hide quoted text -

I would be carefull about pruning, if you cut to hard then you could
end up with a lot of new growth and no fruit.
First thing to do in the winter, when the tree is dormant is to cut
out any dead and dammaged wood, remove ant branches /twigs that are
touching.
It looks to me as if it wants a bit more air flowing through it.
Softly, softly catchie monkey.