Old 18-08-2011, 02:40 PM posted to rec.gardens
Brooklyn1 Brooklyn1 is offline

Default Today

On Thu, 18 Aug 2011 10:53:09 +1000, "David Hare-Scott"
wrote:

Brooklyn1 wrote:
I was very busy mowing today, and afterwards checked my new
fruit trees, I have a lot of delicious plums (Mt. Royal), they're
small but very tasty... next year they should be larger.
http://i54.tinypic.com/w15w8j.jpg

Nice healthy-looking tree.

Thank you. And I didn't spray it with anything. After four years in
the ground that's its first crop. I planted a green gage plum at the
same time but no fruit yet. The Mt. Royal is supposed to be a good
pollinator for the green gage, will need to wait till next year to see
what happens. Last two springs here have experienced a late hard
frost so blossoms and pollinating insects didn't get to meet... I
think the hummingbirds I feed pollinated that tree. Going to have an
early fall, night temps are down in the 50s and I see a tinge of
yellow on the trees... it's only 64º here at nearly 10 AM, should be
about 75º.