Old 18-08-2011, 10:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default impatiens disease; update

On 17/08/2011 20:02, Dave Poole wrote:
Y'know, Impatiens Downy Mildew is a nationwide problem and cannot be
blamed upon a single supplier. It affects all bedding Impatiens (I.
walleriana hybrids and varieties) and is a strongly residual disease
that can and will appear spontaneously amongst any planting. Cool,
humid nights and rainy weather enable it to spread quickly on the wind
and an infected plant or plants some distance away can be the source
of a infection in any one garden, It is unreasonable and unfair to
imply that T&M (or any other supplier for that matter) sold infected
plants, because it is equally possible those plants became infected
after planting. I'm not a huge admirer of T&M, but I do think they
are being exceptionally and even unnecessarily fair in offering a
refund. Take the money and be grateful, but be aware that such offers
may not be forthcoming in future.

In Pam's case, it is very unlikely the plants became infected after
planting as neither she, nor the people she gave the plants to, had
grown impatiens for years, and the causative organism is specific for
impatiens (and even more so selected impatiens species/hybrids).

It is not as though this is a new disease. It was first seen in 2003,
and preventative measures were proposed in 2007 (e.g. see
http://www.fera.defra.gov.uk/plants/...wnyMildew.pdf).

In April/May it was recognised as a particular problem and once again
proposals made for control
(http://www.fera.defra.gov.uk/plants/...ay11Issue.pdf).

Right at the start of the box on page 3 of that article it states
"Between mid- May and mid-June three stocks of Impatiens infected with
this devastating disease
were intercepted by Plant Health and Seed Inspectors." Well, if visible
to the inspectors, could the suppliers not see it too?

The second paragraph starts "Checking any bought-in plants for signs of
disease is a good first line of defence, however, if detected the key to
its management is a combination of good hygiene, and where possible,
controlling the growing condition. Any infected plants and associated
debris should be removed and destroyed and contaminated benches, pots
etc. cleaned."

It may be the case that the disease became resistant to the agents
available to the suppliers (the RHS suggest this could be the reason for
the devastating increase in incidence), but this does not excuse the
suppliers for sending out diseased plants.

As resistance to antifungals is pretty much a given after several years'
use, I am afraid that, at best, "commercial complacency" seems to apply
here.

--

Jeff