Old 18-08-2011, 12:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default garden noob nightmare

"chris French" wrote ..

NT writes
shailer wrote:
hi me and girlfriend recently bought our first house, and it has a
garden that is shaired with down stairs but are not bothered with
gardening (and it shows), we have a 5ft fence all the way round the
garden which is roughly 20ft x 40ft?

snip

we have ivy covering the fence and its well esablished and need ideas of
how to get rid it, as its about a foot deep by 5x40? so there is alot to

Ivy is easy: just cut through the stems near the ground. Job done.

Except that Ivy will grow back again, but digging them out isn't that hard.

Cut through the roots just below ground and it won't resprout, but when the
top goes brown and dry it is a a bit of a fire risk so will need pulling off
the fence and disposing of.

The ivy left can be a bit of PITA to remove depending on what it's on. If
it's an old fence then you need to be wary of removing the Ivy as you may
end up having to replace the fence (the Ivy could well be supporting what's
left - and pulling it off could be damaging to the remaining fence)

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
W.of London. UK