Old 18-08-2011, 03:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default parking on grass

"Janet Tweedy" wrote .

Someone has asked my advice about parking a car on what at the moment is
grass.
I have no idea really what to suggest or what might be feasible.
At the moment her son parks his mini on her small patch of grass . leaving
about 8 foot of soil between the car and the window. i suggested we make
the grass into perhaps chippings and then a barrier between that and the
window so she can have some shrubs.
He has to park off the road as their road is quite narrow and lots of
people park there.
Is it at all possible bearing in mind the grass/lawn is now quite hard and
worn, to perhaps kill or skim off the grass and then put weed supressant
blanket down and then heavy duty chippinmgs?

Hoping for some pointers here. Don't think she could afford full blown
landscapers to do it for her etc. and of course you can't pave front
gardens.

The other side of her front path, we are going to make a sort of grasses
and Mediterranean stuff as the grass there is also pretty awful and it's
only about 4 foot wide.

Why not put some hard standing only where the tyres will run. Something like
two railway sleepers set into the ground. Chippings are a nightmare if you
use it for car standing as it gets caught in the tyres and spread into the
road etc and is very nasty to kneel/lie on if he is doing work on the
vehicle. A simple kerb of similar will stop him rolling onto the
shrub/flower area too.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
W.of London. UK