Old 18-08-2011, 03:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default parking on grass

On Aug 18, 3:36*pm, Jake Nospam@invalid wrote:
On Thu, 18 Aug 2011 15:20:51 +0100, Janet Tweedy

wrote:
In article , Martin Brown
writes
How badly is the grass suffering?

Plenty of people park on grass with two tracks of hard standing for the
car tyres or that hexagonal plastic mesh let into the ground to spread
the weight of the car in wet winter weather.

Provided the car is not parked there all day every day and the grass
gets to see some light I doubt if there is too much of a problem.

Well it doesn't look that good and it means she has to get her lawnmower
from the back to the front through her house as there's no access to the
back (she's in a sort of terrace)

It would mean so much less hassle if we could ge6 rid of the grass and
just let her have a border and no lawn to upkeep.

Her son works on his car as well some weekends and does park it in the
week sometimes if he gets a lift to work with his mates.

Things may not be as straightforward as you might think.

A lot depends on your local authority. If there is a pavement (or just
a kerb) between the front garden and the roadway then the LA may
insist on her obtaining permission to install a dropped kerb (this may
come from the highway authority). Then planning permission may be
required to replace the grass with anything (FWIW, the LA here will
refuse consent for a dropped kerb plus chippings because they get
thrown up onto the road and will insist on either block paving or
tarmac plus additional drainage to prevent rain runoff onto the
roadway or permeable blocks/paving). And you *guessed it, the LA is
both the highway authority and the planning authority but they may
require two separate applications for consent!

In any event, just laying chippings over a membrane will leave a long
term problem as the chippings need to be "supported" or they will
simply press into the ground over time.

Cheers
Jake
Gardening at the dry end (east) of Swansea Bay
in between reading anything by JRR Tolkien.

www.rivendell.org.uk- Hide quoted text -

You could look at these 2 products
Tenax GP-Flex Non-Slip Grass Protection Mesh
Netlon Turfguard

There are others similar that come in squares but I think the roll is
better.