Old 18-08-2011, 10:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default growing onions questions

zxcvbob wrote:
If you plant them now, don't pamper them if they come up. You want
the bulbs really small when they go dormant for the winter. Not sure
what the cutoff size is, maybe a centimeter; much bigger than that and
they will bloom next year instead of growing big.

we have about 4 weeks of time before the frosts
will start hitting. i'm thinking of dividing the
seeds in half and plant some now and then the rest
next spring.

i did some research at the library today and
found one book that mentioned growing from seeds
and what you've mentioned about size (when buying
onion sets, not in particular about growing from
seed).

I would wait until just before the grown freezes to plant them where
you want them to sprout in the spring.

(I have some onion seeds drying too. Gonna do the same thing)

we really enjoy having onions out there when we need
them instead of having to run to the store. the trouble
we had this year was the growing medium the onions were
sprouted in had something the raccoons liked so they
were digging them up. the rest of the years we've grown
onions they have been inside the fenced garden so the
raccoons left them alone. by growing from seed in the
spot where they'll be at next year they won't have any
funny medium underneath them to attract raccoons. they'll
smell just like the rest of the millions of chives/alliums
we have around that don't ever get bothered.

at least that's the theory. thanks for answering.

songbird