Old 19-08-2011, 12:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_3_] Baz[_3_] is offline

Default Repairing a split in a plastic water butt...

"AL_n" wrote in
:

If one finds a split in a standard modern plastic water butt, as
typically found at B&Q and every garden centre, what is the best way
to repair it? I suspect the plastic is polypropelene, but I may be
wrong. I wondered about using a hot soldering iron to melt the plastc
together, over the split, or would it be better to use that black
mastic gutter sealant stuff sold in tubes for mastic-gun application?
Which would make the strongest most durable repair?

TIA,

Al

Generally, a moulded plastic structure, intended to be watertight, cannot
be repaired economically to remain so.

If this was bought to retain water, and it has failed (for it's intended
purpose) I would take it up with the retailer.

I would always reccommend buying gardening equipment from a builders
merchant. NOT Screwfix, NOT B&Q, NOT Plumbcenter but a propper builders
merchant, where professional builders get their kit and supplies from. It
may cost a bit more, often not, but it will last far, far, beyond anything
from a D.I.Y. store.

Buy cheap buy twice or thrice, as the saying goes, and today it is
absolutely true.

Baz