Old 19-08-2011, 01:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Clear Growing Medium Edible Jelly?

In article ,
Dave East wrote:

Would like to try and create a clear jelly like growing medium, so we can
watch the plant roots grow outwards.

There are such products available commercially, for propagation,
but they are probably very expensive.

My first thoughts are an edible type jelly dessert from the supermarket with
plant food added to it.

Grrk. I wouldn't. The synthetic fruit squashes that are so cheap
and popular make fairly effective sterilising agents, and the cheap
jelly materials use the same dyes and flavourings.

Get some agar and make it yourself, but remember that oxygen will
permeate though it very slowly, so only some plants will be able
to grow in it.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.