Old 19-08-2011, 11:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default How much extent the chemical which are used in planting affect our health?

Monikacis wrote:
Hello guys,

How much extent the chemical which are used in planting affect our
health?

I really want to know as its important to our health.

Some aspects of this question are fairly clear. For example pesticide use
contributes towards farming being a dangerous profession. According to Wiki
(I haven't tracked down the source) "The World Health Organization estimated
in 1992 that 3 million pesticide poisonings occur annually, causing 220,000
deaths". Also there are flow on effects of the use of fertilisers and
pesticides upon land and waterways (eg eutrophication) and other issues such
as poisoning bees and birds which affect the environment which ultimately
affect us.

Other aspects are not so clear, is any use of pesticide a risk or is it only
when misused? For example if pesticides are used according to instructions,
withholding periods are used correctly etc, are the fruits and veges you buy
in supermarkets a risk to your health or not? Some say yes, some say no and
some say yes but it is worth it as the benefits outweigh the problems.
There is every chance of this topic becoming a religious issue and leaving
you just as bemused as if you found a priest, a rabbi and a mullah wrestling
in a closet.

I can only suggest that if this really bothers you should grow your own food
or get it from somebody who you know doesn't use chemicals. As mentioned in
a recent thread buying food labelled "organic" may or may not mean that it
is free of such. To me the demonstrable benefits in growing your own are
freshness, flavour and choice.

David