Old 19-08-2011, 11:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Peppermint Patootie Peppermint Patootie is offline

Default Apple tree newbie

In article ,
Dorcas wrote:

Hello, hubby and I are retired and next year will be moving to a smaller
property. There is just the 2 of us and a sloppy labrador. We would love
to plant an apple tree or 2 but have no idea of how to go about it.
Could you suggest a type of tree, which will start fruiting before we
are dead(!) We've heard of patio ones maybe they would suit us? Many
thanks

I planted a dwarf Jonagold tree in my front yard. I think it started
bearing fruit its second year. I've been treating it better the past
couple of years, and it's loaded with apples now.

You may need to take into consideration if there are other apple trees
fairly near for cross polination. There are several in my neighborhood.

PP in Boston, MA
- Chris Malcolm