Old 20-08-2011, 12:46 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Apple tree newbie

"Bob F" wrote:

Dorcas wrote:
Hello, hubby and I are retired and next year will be moving to a
smaller property. There is just the 2 of us and a sloppy labrador. We
would love to plant an apple tree or 2 but have no idea of how to go
about it. Could you suggest a type of tree, which will start fruiting
before we are dead(!) We've heard of patio ones maybe they would suit
us? Many thanks

Buy tree, dig hole, place root ball in hole, fill around it. Just make sure the
soil line stayes the same as the origional.

Then- feed as needed; trim as needed; spray as needed; fight off the
rodents and birds. And if the stars align and you are rewarded with
a crop-- you'll have some real good eating. . . if you chose the
right variety.

Where are you? Best varieties may vary with your climate.

I'd start at an orchard and see what kind of apples you like. Then
I'd visit a local nursery to see which trees lend themselves to
backyard culture.

Dwarf or semi-dwarf trees will produce in a couple years.

Jim