Old 20-08-2011, 02:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default growing onions questions

Derald wrote:
songbird wrote:

anyone here grow onions from seed?

Yep. It's the only way I can get the variety that I want. I buy them from
these folks: http://sustainableseedco.com/home.php.

seeds aplenty already.

my basic plan is to get the seeds
planted as soon as i can get a spot for
them and then they'll grow through the
fall and come back next year to form the
onion bulb.

I think that's the way most folks do it. At least, down here in the sunny
South, that's how they do it. I'll be planting mine in early-mid October,
depending on average temperatures. I start seeds in a container and transplant
into raised beds. Since I've never got a satisfactory answer to "why", I've
determined to prepare a few square feet of a bed and direct-seed a few this fall

i suspect because the idea is to keep the spacing
uniform after the seedling has grown up a bit (and not
all seeds germinate so this way you avoid gaps in the
bed). they don't need as much space to start them
and then you can select the strongest seedling for
replanting and space them out properly to grow.

i'm pretty sure i'll have enough seeds for three
plantings so some will go out immediately as soon
as i can figure out where to put them. others i'll
wait a month, and the rest i'll put out next spring.

the bunching onions i'll plant most of next spring,
but one package of seeds i'll put out soon to get a
flower crop from next year (if they survive the winter).
i always like to see what a plant looks like when it
flowers.

songbird