Old 20-08-2011, 02:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default growing onions questions

Derald wrote:
songbird wrote:

i have taken the bottoms off of cut
onions (with roots attached in some cases)
and buried them again. i'm hoping the
left over nutrients in the bulb will feed
the roots and (apex i think it is called
but we can call it anything you'd like)
eventually sprout some onions again from
that. keep it moist and get a few clones
from the original onion to grow out next
year.

anyone else tried this?

I do it all the time with what's sold as "green" onions at the grocery
store. Just poke'm in arbitrary places around the garden where there's a bare
spot and sunlight. Most do well; some don't; some get eaten by beasts. They're a
long day white variety that doesn't make bulbs down here but they do make tender
shoots for garnishes. I just leave them undisturbed (but am not religious about
it -- if I need the space, up they come) because the blossoms attract a
multitude of insects.

the ones i've stuck in the ground aren't bunching onions,
so i'm not sure if they'll go or not, but i figured it was
worth the grins. i couldn't figure out last fall where this
one onion that grew had come from other than it was left
over bits that had stayed in the ground when it was pulled.
i figured a test of the method was fitting. even if they
do nothing other than put up seed heads next year that would
be fine with me. as you say, they get a lot of activity
from the insects.

right now we have a lot of honey bees around on some
blooming plants. it's the first time this year i've seen
this many at a time. i'm hoping there is a wild colony
someplace around here. i don't know of anyone keeping
them.

songbird