Old 20-08-2011, 10:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Blight!

Vicky wrote .

Not on the allotment - all potatoes and tomatoes on my plot are still fine!
(although apparently everyone else's tomatoes have been blighted out
already!) ... but in the greenhouse! :-(
It's the plant nearest the door, touch wood it's not spreading as of yet.
And it's a fruiting branch, too.

Do I remove the whole plant now, whilst it's not spreading, or can I get
away with just cutting away the affected branch? And how's best to dispose
of? (presumably not in the compost or the food waste bin!)

Dammit, only just getting my first tomatoes ripe, too!

That's what always happens, it a miracle that the ones on your allotment
haven't got it too. We gave up trying to grow any Toms that were not Blight
Resistant some years ago so instead of varieties like Roma, cherry type etc
we now only grow Ferline, Fantasio and Legend. And, we also spray with
Bordeaux Mixture (copper sulphate and lime) to prevent Blight. Belt and
braces I know but there is nothing worse than year after year watching Toms
get nearly ripe and then losing them all, no crop whatsoever, a complete
waste of all that time and effort.

Regarding your present situation, you need to remove the infected plant
totally and burn it or take it to your Council recycling plant and put it in
the general waste NOT the green waste. Keep a good eye on the remaining
plants and do not get water on them when you water to ensure the leaves stay
dry, Blight needs damp leaves to infect.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
W.of London. UK