Old 20-08-2011, 12:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Blight!

Bob Hobden wrote:
That's what always happens, it a miracle that the ones on your allotment
haven't got it too. We gave up trying to grow any Toms that were not Blight
Resistant some years ago so instead of varieties like Roma, cherry type etc
we now only grow Ferline, Fantasio and Legend.

Last year I tried Ferline, but this year I went to the packet and it was
empty. I /think/ the allotment ones this year are Shirley, but I could be
wrong. There were also some "I haven't potted these in the greenhouse yet,
let's just plant them" varieties.

And, we also spray with
Bordeaux Mixture (copper sulphate and lime) to prevent Blight. Belt and

Just asked Nick, and he says it's difficult to get hold of now, and it's
very not organic.

braces I know but there is nothing worse than year after year watching Toms
get nearly ripe and then losing them all, no crop whatsoever, a complete
waste of all that time and effort.

Tbh, I don't /normally/ have a problem with it, but I also don't normally
put tomatoes on the allotment. I just thought it was a good way of getting
rid of the last tomato plants that didn't sell in the summer.

Regarding your present situation, you need to remove the infected plant
totally and burn it or take it to your Council recycling plant and put it in
the general waste NOT the green waste. Keep a good eye on the remaining
plants and do not get water on them when you water to ensure the leaves stay
dry, Blight needs damp leaves to infect.

A-ha! Nick says it's his fault, cos he's been using the sprayer hose and
spraying the leaves. Lesson learnt!