Old 20-08-2011, 01:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_3_] Baz[_3_] is offline

Default Blight!

wrote in
:

Not on the allotment - all potatoes and tomatoes on my plot are still
fine! (although apparently everyone else's tomatoes have been blighted
out
already!) ... but in the greenhouse! :-(
It's the plant nearest the door, touch wood it's not spreading as of
yet. And it's a fruiting branch, too.

Do I remove the whole plant now, whilst it's not spreading, or can I
get away with just cutting away the affected branch? And how's best
to dispose of? (presumably not in the compost or the food waste bin!)

Dammit, only just getting my first tomatoes ripe, too!

Are you sure it is blight? It might not be.
You will most likely have more experience than me and know if it is or
isn't blight.

I have many problems this year with the tomatoes and most of it is neglect
by me with other pressing issues.

What I have done is take off the dodgy looking leaves/foliage and all
sideshoots and give them a good dose of tomato plant food. Within 2 days
they look like they ought to be in a show, foliage wise.
I hope the fruiting follows suit. I know it's going to be a dodgy crop with
the intermittent, or irregular care I have given them this year and many of
them will split or get end rot.

Baz