Old 20-08-2011, 01:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Blight!

In article , wrote:

Don't worry about it - as I said, in the UK, blight overwinters only
in living plant material.

But if I throw it onto the ground, surely it will then overwinter in any
leftover bits of plant, such as tomato seeds that may grow, or existing
potato plants that tend to hang around in the flower beds.

They will probably have been exposed, anyway. But I wasn't saying
that it is a good idea to leave it on the ground - it isn't - but
it isn't worth making a fuss over. My real point was that, if it
has not got down to the tubers, removing all the plant material and
waiting a while would mean that you could replant with one of the
Solanaceae for the winter, with only a small chance of it carrying
over via the growbag. If it has got down to them, you need to remove
EVERY tuber, no matter how small, so it's not worth it - but that
doesn't usually happen if it is caught early.

The point is that you have no guarantees, anyway, so taking extreme
efforts to avoid a relatively unlikely problem isn't justified.
But I know that that attitude is rare among non-statisticians :-(

In fact ... surely if it's a fungal disease, it will happily hang around in
dead bits of leaf, etc, and will resurface from that? I'm not sure i follow
why it wouldn't.

Because the UK forms don't produce resistant spores. Fungi have
more lifestyles than you would believe possible and, anyway, it's
not a fungus :-)

Bordeaux mixture may not be 'organic', but is just copper, which
is a required nutrient anyway. Unless you go absolutely bananas
with it, there won't be enough accumulation to make any difference.

Is it available to buy? Nick was under the impression it was one of the
limited or removed availability products. (My Nick, not you :-)

Nah. You will rarely find it in 'garden centres' because the
manufacturers of expensive and ecologically nasty toxins want you
to buy their stuff instead. Try Tuckers.

More effective treatments that used to be used include benomyl,
and that should be kept a long way from all women between 6 and 60.

Blimey, that's a bit ... kind of specific, but also non-specific, if that
makes sense! What does it do? Some kind of hormonal imbalance mutatey
thing?

Nothing so harmless :-( It's teratogenic, and apparently can cause
babies to be born without eyes. I am unlikely to be affected, being
too old for child-bearing and, er, male.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.