Old 20-08-2011, 04:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Blight!

Vicky wrote .

Bob Hobden wrote:
That's what always happens, it a miracle that the ones on your allotment
haven't got it too. We gave up trying to grow any Toms that were not
Blight
Resistant some years ago so instead of varieties like Roma, cherry type
etc
we now only grow Ferline, Fantasio and Legend.

Last year I tried Ferline, but this year I went to the packet and it was
empty. I /think/ the allotment ones this year are Shirley, but I could be
wrong. There were also some "I haven't potted these in the greenhouse yet,
let's just plant them" varieties.

And, we also spray with
Bordeaux Mixture (copper sulphate and lime) to prevent Blight. Belt and

Just asked Nick, and he says it's difficult to get hold of now, and it's
very not organic.

No, I've seen it in all the GCs I've visited lately, sold under the Vitax
brand. It washes off the fruit. which is why I went and re-applied it
yesterday. Organic? No idea but it used to be in an Organic Gardening
catalogue I used to get. It's a powder, but whilst you can puff it on it's
much better to use it in a sprayer, instructions on the plastic bottle (can
be difficult to wet initially).
If you can't find any it's probably because they have sold out. We buy it as
a matter of course during the winter.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
W.of London. UK