Old 21-08-2011, 12:57 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Bobo Bobo is offline

Default growing onions questions

On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 11:34:08 -0400, songbird
wrote:

anyone here grow onions from seed?

we normally grow our yellow onions from
sets from the greenhouse, but i've managed
to get some seed heads on an onion sprout
that was left over from last year.

now i have three large flower heads
full of seeds ripening and would enjoy
hearing from people who've done this.

my basic plan is to get the seeds
planted as soon as i can get a spot for
them and then they'll grow through the
fall and come back next year to form the
onion bulb.

if i want more seeds i'll have to leave
an onion from this year alone to flower
again next year.

another type of onion question.

i have picked up some bunching onion seeds
and they say to plant in the spring so i'll do
that. but for flowering and more seed production
could i put some of those out now and get them
going so they will bloom next year or do i need
to wait until spring and they will bloom the
same season like our chives do?

thanks for your replies.

songbird

I swithched to growing from seed about fifteen years ago. I get much
nicer onions than I did from sets and there's more variety. I buy the
seeds though. Here in Ohio I usually get the "day neutral" types. I
prepare the soil in fall so I can put the seed out in early Spring
when the grounds too wet to work. My soil is too heavy for small seeds
to sprout well so I cover the seed with soil mix.