Old 20-08-2011, 10:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default tomatoes coming in nicely

Derald wrote:

Although, my tomatoes lasted well into July, now they are gone, long gone.
Most years, I layer a couple of canes to use for fall tomatoes but, since I want
that bed for something else, I didn't do that this year. If I fool with fall
tomatoes at all, they'll be in containers. A tub from a clothes-washing machine
or a "big half" a 60-gal olive barrel work well because they each hold a 3-4
cubic feet of soil mix.

what types do you usually grow?

I have a direct "request" from TLOML not to grow "so
damned many" tomatoes from now own, LOL; suits me: Tomatoes are for hamburgers
and little else, in my view, and since I eat only a couple of those in a year's
time, demand from fresh tomatoes isn't high around here!

i could eat them every day and this time of
year i do. i also like them sliced on
burgers with onion, miracle whip and ketchup.
cheese optional. also we'll just eat them
alone on toasted bread.

i know there are people out there who don't
like them or are allergic to tomatoes, but
wow am i so glad i'm not one of them. the
easiest thing we grow and by far the most
versatile source of many vitamins that are
important to have in the middle of winter
when other fresh fruits are dear to come by.
not hard to put up and store (doesn't need
sugar, vinegar or other preservatives).

Now, what to do with
all of that basil that just won't quit....

a good pesto is yummy.

give the extra away.

songbird