Old 21-08-2011, 12:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rikki Rikki is offline

Default Curly beans

On Aug 21, 6:36*am, Baz wrote:
Rikki wrote in news:2590adbd-9b01-4777-
:

Could anyone please tell me why some of my french beans are growing
curly?

Do you mean curly or just curved or bent?

Half or more of mine are curved, some like a horseshoe. I don't know the
reason but in the 3 years I have grown them they have been like it. They
all taste the same.

I watched something on iplayer recently about carbon footprinting and
French beans grown in Kenya. They reject anything that is not straight
because Asda, who they supply to, demand all French beans are straight. The
consumer obviously demands this too. Why? No idea. What a waste.

Baz

I don't mind what shape my beans, carrots, parsnips etc are, they do
all taste the same. Most of my beans are normal, but I have had a few
that are literally curly. I just wondered if there was anything that
could be the cause.