Old 21-08-2011, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden[_3_] Bob Hobden[_3_] is offline

Default Early Apples!

"Steve Harris" wrote

First good apple of the season. The book says 'Ashmead's Kernal' is ready
for harvest in mid-October. My experience has been late-September but this
year, here we are not quite in the last week of August! They're not quite
as sweet and sharp as I remember and they're about half the size. This may
be due to the lack of rain although others note that this variety produces
large fruit only when young. I may leave some of them for a couple of
weeks although pest attacks are starting.

Everything is a bit strange this year, our maincrop potatoes are going over
a month early.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup