Old 21-08-2011, 08:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default How does spider mite attack actually kill a plant?

On 20/08/2011 12:59, AL_n wrote:
wrote in :

Actually, I think that they suck the sap out of the cells, so those
cells will die. That is why the leaves go white and don't recover
even if you kill the RSM.

Onsce the pnat ppears totally dead, is there a best-chance remedy left to
try, such as cutting the branches off ain the hope that a new shoot might
appear? Presumably the roots are unaffected?

The only chemical remedy for red spider mite worth using is Westland
Plant Rescue ready-to-use spray, which contains thiamethoxam and
abamectin. It is the latter which is active against RSM. Do not bother
with any other chemicals available to the amateur which claim to be
active, and do not be mislead into buying Plant Rescue concentrate as
this contains only thiamethoxam.

In my experience, it is best to use this spray at the first sign of any
RSM infection - usually a few small web strands. Check the underside of
the leaves for RSM.

If heavily infested, remove all leaves (if this is feasible) and spray
what's left. Drastic, but it may save the plant.

--

Jeff