Old 21-08-2011, 08:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle[_1_] Mike Lyle[_1_] is offline
Registered User

Default Veg ID please...

On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 16:39:57 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Wally" wrote ...

I have some of these growing among my beetroot, as the seed
came in the same packet I think they might be the same family.
Can anyone please identify them and let me know how to prepare
them for the table??

http://wally1002.tripod.com/wassit/DSCF0018.JPG

Thanks in advance.

Looks like Perennial spinach or Spinach beet.

Yes; and if it isn't exactly a"spinach" variety, the leaves may do
just as well. Beetroot, sugar beet, spinach beet, mangels, they're all
varieties of the same species. (But you do have to like spinach beet,
and I don't like the flavour it seems to develop in my W Mids garden,
though I found it acceptable back in W Wales -- but that may just be a
change in my palate.)

--
Mike.