Old 22-08-2011, 12:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default East & West Wall Fruit

On 20/08/2011 16:40, NT wrote:
On Aug 17, 10:56 pm, wrote:
On 16/08/2011 14:39, NT wrote:
On Aug 16, 8:08 am, wrote:
On 16/08/2011 01:56, in article
, "NT"
wrote:

I think plums& blackcurrants, and maybe some hybrid berries and
strawberries. Are full size strawbs also usable for the understorey?
Slugs are a problem here.

They're useable, but a magnet for slugs, and you were looking for
low-maintenance.

OK thanks. I don't know what to use for ground cover then, alpine
strawbs don't really appeal. I've grown them in the past.

NT

It's not a fruit, I know, but might courgettes suit the understorey instead?

When I've grown them before, they're almost as big as the redcurrants.
Is it really possible to plant one under the other, and still get good
results?

NT

In truth, I haven't tried, but if there's enough light and if you feed
and water well, I would have thought so. I'd certainly try it if I had
the appropriate site, although it would be blackcurrants for me.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London