Old 23-08-2011, 04:48 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default growing onions questions

Bobo wrote:
I swithched to growing from seed about fifteen years ago. I get much
nicer onions than I did from sets and there's more variety.

we've always been happy with the onions
we get, we just don't like that the
raccoons are digging them up to get
at the soil mix they are started in.

I buy the
seeds though. Here in Ohio I usually get the "day neutral" types. I
prepare the soil in fall so I can put the seed out in early Spring
when the grounds too wet to work. My soil is too heavy for small seeds
to sprout well so I cover the seed with soil mix.

what types have you grown and are happy with?

our soil is mostly clay here, but i'll have a few
new spots to work with (eventually) that are lighter
soil and they will be much appreciated for shallow
bulb crops.

thanks Bobo,

songbird