Old 23-08-2011, 08:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default If you were getting rid of an evergreen windbreak...

"Laura Corin" wrote in message

It was a hedge (species unknown) which was neglected and grew about
twenty feet tall. The bottom half was just trunk and the top had barely
any leaves. Anyway, we are cutting it down to replant. We originally
planned on hiring a digger to pull the stumps out, but a friend has
advised just cutting the stumps down to the ground, making deep cuts in
them to collect rain water, and letting them rot where they are. We
have space to replant between/around them.

What do you think?

Thanks

Laura

--
Laura Corin

Leaving stumps will either mean that they will regrow as Janet has said or
that in time their getting some forms of fungi as they naturally rot down
which can transmit to other woody plants in the area. If you have the room
and money to get them out that is the best solution, if you decide to leave
them treat the stumps to kill them and to speed up the rotting process.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs