Old 20-04-2003, 06:24 AM
Eric Schreiber

Default put in new flourite, no pearling, kH dropped.

"Dave M. Picklyk" wrote:

1. I've got no pearling on my leaves (maybe after transplanting all the
plants it takes a few days for them to start "growing" again) My C02 has
been running for about 11 days...21ppm should still produce pearling...

The best I've ever managed is about 13ppm, so my experience doesn't
really apply to your question. That said, I've only seen any pearling
once. And in that case it was actually just one particular plant that
was producing a bubble stream.

Interestingly, if I shone a flashlight beam at the plant (in addition
to my normal 3 wpg lighting), the rate of the bubbling would instantly
speed up dramatically.

Biology in action. Very cool.

2. My kH levels have dropped from 10 to 9. (does this have anything to do
with the addition of the flourite?--I thought it would increase hardness??)
I had assumed that kH never fluctuated once you used water from the same
source all the time.

My kH fluctuates from 13 to 15.5 ppm. Have you checked that the kH of
your source has remained constant?

I rather doubt that the Flourite is the cause of any fluctuation, as
it's pretty inert.

--
www.ericschreiber.com