Old 23-08-2011, 12:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default Plant Identification

On Tue, 23 Aug 2011 12:12:00 +0100, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

In article , Plants_Galore
writes
Hi Dave,

Looks to me like a Phlox, this is a perennial plant and comes into
flower at this point in the season. They are lovely and come in a huge
range of colours! So don't dig it up!!!

Yes but they smell awful. Well i think so. i can tell if there's some in
a garden even if i can't see them just by the smell!
Some people seem to like it.

I planted a single white phlox (labelled paniculata) when I first
moved here. Within 5 years it had spread everywhere, including to next
door's garden, and I've been digging it out ever since - can't get rid
of it and it smells really bad. OTOH, I have lots of coloured phlox
growing nicely with only the occasional division and cut back of
spreading roots needed. These coloured ones have an attractive scent,
certainly not overpowering at all.

Cheers
Jake
Gardening at the dry end (east) of Swansea Bay
in between reading anything by JRR Tolkien.

www.rivendell.org.uk