Old 23-08-2011, 03:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
hugh hugh is offline

Default Lack of rain in some areas

In message
,
michael writes
I am surprised not to hear about lack of rain in gardens/allotments
this year.There was a lot of comment on the BBC weather news earlier
this year when the SE and E were threatened with drought,but now that
they have had some rain,it is not thought to be newsworthy when other
regions are suffering.
I know about two microclimates-one in S.Manchester where there has
been some rain occasionally but nothing more than half an hour of
light rain.Crops on my allotment are not doing well and are drying up
before cropping even after some watering.Dwarfing rootstock (M27)apple
trees are producing small early fruit with not much flavour.
The second area I know about is S.Herefordshire where I have a cider
apple orchard.Here there has been even less rainfall-essentially none
since March.The orchard grass has completely burnt off and three trees
(medium sized) have already died with their apples smaller than table
tennis ball size.All fields around are totally brown-sunflower crops
locally are about 9" tall only and it is a serious drought condition.I
am sure that the water table has dropped dramatically and we will need
some very heavy winter rain for it to recover.
I would be interested to know whether I am unlucky to have two small
microclimates without rain,or whether it is a more widespread
phenomenon.
Michael

You can add Cheshire to your list.
Well below average for over 12 months now and as end of August
approaches we are at about 1/4 of normal for this month.
August is on average the 3rd wettest month of the year after Oct and
Nov.
--
hugh