Old 23-08-2011, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod[_5_] Rod[_5_] is offline

Default If you were getting rid of an evergreen windbreak...

On Aug 22, 5:42*pm, Laura Corin Laura.Corin.
wrote:
It was a hedge (species unknown) which was neglected and grew about
twenty feet tall. *The bottom half was just trunk and the top had barely
any leaves. *Anyway, we are cutting it down to replant. *We originally
planned on hiring a digger to pull the stumps out, but a friend has
advised just cutting the stumps down to the ground, making deep cuts in
them to collect rain water, and letting them rot where they are. *We
have space to replant between/around them.

What do you think?

Thanks

Laura

--
Laura Corin

As well as the reservations of Janet and Charlie, there's the fact
that you'll be hitting roots every time you try to plant anything so
if you can get rid of them and while you're at it use the digger as a
great big spade to dig the area much more deeply than you can by hand.

Rod