Old 23-08-2011, 07:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default If you were getting rid of an evergreen windbreak...

On Tue, 23 Aug 2011 10:48:07 -0700 (PDT), Dave Hill
wrote:

pruned

Just wondering if you could have had a Laurel hedge
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ry20Laurel.jpg
' if so it will grow back well from stumps.

If it is laurel, to say it will "grow back well from stumps" is a bit
of an understatement. It'll grow back whether you want it to or not
and even if you keep removing the growth, it'll still be trying 20
years later.

It would really be worth identifying what the old hedge was. Do you
have any pics or is there a bit remaining with some leaves that you
could photograph and post via Garden Banter (you can post pics to GB
and link to them in a post to this group but can't post pics direct
here). [1]

Getting an ID on the old hedge would avoid a lot of speculation and
possibly a mistake that might come back to haunt you. As you refer to
"leaves" I suppose we can rule out the normal hedging conifers but
there are some other little "thugs" that might not take kindly to
being decapitated and left as stumps!

[1] Note to corvus: that is not a dig at Garden Banter; it's intended
to be helpful, unlike your digital excretions.

Cheers
Jake
Gardening at the dry end (east) of Swansea Bay
in between reading anything by JRR Tolkien.

www.rivendell.org.uk