Old 23-08-2011, 11:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
someone someone is offline

Default Veg ID please...

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
On Sun, 21 Aug 2011 23:04:15 +0100, "someone"

wrote:

"Wally" wrote in message
I have some of these growing among my beetroot, as the
seed
came in the same packet I think they might be the same
family.
Can anyone please identify them and let me know how to
prepare
them for the table??

http://wally1002.tripod.com/wassit/DSCF0018.JPG

Thanks in advance.

Wally

Sounds like a throwback, lucky you! Have you tried eating
it as a beet or carrot or other root vegetable? Are the
leaves tasty, like cabbage? Could be a mangel-wurzl.
Anyway, let it sprout, keep the seed and sprout it as a
sprouting seed, like mung beans, in a bean sprouter. And
eat
as bean sprouts, which cost a lot from the supermarket.

Or buy some mung beans and sprout them: that way you get
real bean
sprouts and not beet sprouts. Sorry if this is too
simple-minded for
you.

Our local garden centre sells seeds and beans of all
varieties, including cabbage, carrots, alfalfa, broccoli,
fenugreek, and of course cress, all especially for
sprouting. As long as you eat the sprouts while they're
small they're quite tasty. I let my lentils get too big
once and they were a bit tough as sprouts.