Old 24-08-2011, 06:38 AM
LitteJ LitteJ is offline
Registered User

Location: Dudey, UK

QUOTE=lannerman;933806]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LitteJ View Post
Hi I am new to this site so bear with me.

I live in Dudley, UK. It's a fairly urban area. Back garden is on a severe decline. Grass at the bottom bordered by conifers. Tiers at intervals on the way down containing various different fillers eg grass, shrubs, rockery.

We have recently (past few months) been replanting some of the tiers. In the past 2 weeks we have noticed black tarry droppings on the steps, on the retaining walls + on the rockery. They are smaller than a 10p, liquidy (not dry)+have white or green around or in. I have pics but it says not to post them on here + I don't have my own website. Will send them to people if required. They do not look like rat droppings.

There are also larger droppings, dark, formed + about the size of 2 10p pieces on the deck + grass at bottom of garden. We have a cat but they do not look like cat faeces. They are not buried + appear to contain plant matter. People are suggesting foxes? Could they both be from the same animal?

The reason I am asking is because since the droppings started appearing our plants have started to be dug up. Our beautiful rockery has been destryoyed. Holes have appeared around the roots + whole plants have been dug up + strewn across the whole garden! There are also holes (about 2-3 inches in diameter) in the bottom lawn + runs between the two. Is this rats?

Sorry for the long post but we are amateur gardeners hoping for help with the droppings + holes. Would like to get the problem sorted!

Thanks in advance![/QUOTE)

Have any of the droppings been deposited in the holes ?? if so, this sounds like badgers to me (and definantly not rats) They use specific areas as latrines and dig small holes to deposit their droppings. These latrines are generally on the outskirts of their territory and its very hard to detere them from using this same area once they start ?
Lannerman.
Gosh didn't realise there was so much politics on here!

Spoke to my neighbour. It's foxes!

Thanks