Old 24-08-2011, 10:30 AM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
Plants used for hedging are usually selected for their ability to either sucker or regrow from violent pruning.
The main exception being cypresses and the like, which, in compensation for their other unpleasant habits, will at least stop growing if pruned at ground level.

I have the stump of a cypress I cut down 10 years ago, which I suspect predated most of the other conifers in the garden, as it was much fatter. All the others I was able to dig out the stump by hand, but this one is too big. But the remaining stump has barely rotted at all in 10 years.

I have rejuvenated overgrown hedges of laurel, beech and viburnum tinus by very radical pruning, ie, removing about 90% of the plant. There's no need to be gentle or careful about it. It is a good idea to make sure that the stump you leave is at least 2 feet below the top of the eventual hedge you desire.