Old 24-08-2011, 08:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Boron Elgar[_2_] Boron Elgar[_2_] is offline

Default Mortgage Lifter

On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 14:49:43 -0400, The Cook
wrote:

On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 13:28:35 -0400, Boron Elgar
wrote:

So I planted some Mortgage Lifter tomatoes this year. The plants grew
very well, were most prolific in flowering, setting and ripening of
fruit.

The only problem is that the tomatoes are not wonderful. They look
fabulous. They would make ideal magazine shots or state fair entries,
but they are, at least to me, underweight for their size and have no
depth of flavor whatsoever.

I have only two full size varieties growing this year (many cherry,
pear, patios, etc, as they bear and ripen earlier here), the MLs and
some identified only as "heirloom tomato" on the labeling, that latter
having been bought as a lark from a reduced rack at the local grocery
store.

I wish I knew what the "heirloom tomato" really was as it has produced
fruit that is everything that exemplifies a home grown tomato with
indescribably delicious complexity of taste.

It's fun gardening.

Boron

For the last several years I have been trying lots of different
tomatoes and I have decided that next year I am only going to plant
Viva Italia, Better Boy, Early Girl and Jelly Bean. I am also going
to plant a second crop of Viva Italia and Better Boy since I seem to
have so much trouble with various and sundry blights and bugs.

I cannot say that I have any consistency from year to year. The
weather seems to have such a great affect of what thrives and doesn't
- at least with the veggies, that I find some of it a crap shoot.

Oh, that doesn't stop me, of course, nothing will, but I would love to
find a tomato that gives me what I want year after year. I have a
chance at it with the volunteers that start growing in mid August in a
shady patch of impatiens each year. I just let'em do their thing -
which must be good as I have 7 plants growing there right now. I
should try to save some seed from them and put them in the sun next
year as they are like the Molly Brown of tomatoes (cherries).

A couple of days ago I found out what was eating my cantaloupe -- a
turtle.

Oh, now THAT is a great garden story.

Boron