Old 24-08-2011, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
Roberts Roberts is offline

Default Bamboo and damage

"Jonathan" wrote in message
On Aug 24, 12:51 pm, Andy Dingley wrote:
On Aug 24, 12:08 pm, "Dave East" wrote:

This rampant bamboo is growing to within a few feet of this 1936
terraced
house which is built on ground which has the top 12 inches being Loam
and
then Clay below that.

Bamboo is a problem for being invasive, but much less so for
structural damage. Its roots are relatively flimsy and shallow, not
like tree roots, so they don't do much for levering apart pipe joints
or masonry. This also means that they're pretty easy to control,
either with shallow buried barrier fences or just by grubbing them
out. Really I don't know why gardeners complain about bamboo invasions
at all, they're really quite easy to deal with. The best thing for
digging them is a Japanese root chopping sickle (Axminster) - a small
serrated sickle, great for bamboo and smaller brambles. Favourite
garden gadget at the moment.

A bamboo will extract moisture, and if you extract enough moisture
from clay, then you get shrinkage and possibly movement. However if
you have a layer of loam over clay, I'd be really surprised (but check
first) if the bamboo was rooting into the clay, rather than preferring
to stay in the surface layer.

I had bamboo roots go through 4" of a concrete pond once.

Jonathan
I am surprised at the answers unless there are different types of bamboo. I
had to go down to 2' 6" and I still broke the main root off. They drink a
considerable amount of water and their roots will go through almost anything
and this is in southern England. In the tropics they are capeable of growing
1' in a night. It was a favourite torture of the Japs to stake out people
over a growing bamboo shoot. So unless you want it for a privacy screen get
rid of it or have it far away from any buildings
I gave mine to a workmate who lives on an island in the Thames. It stops the
island getting smaller and stops nosey people on boats looking in
Robbie