Old 24-08-2011, 07:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Bamboo and damage

On 24/08/2011 17:51, wrote:
In , wrote:

I am surprised at the answers unless there are different types of bamboo. I
had to go down to 2' 6" and I still broke the main root off. ...

There are :-)

A great many species of bamboo - although comparatively few will grow
well in the UK. All of mine died last winter when the sudden onset of
snow and frost occurred before they went dormant. Being an optimist I
haven't dug them out yet but there is no sign of life at all

I am surprised at your reference to "the main root", as a taproot is
not normally something that any grass has.

Some of the tropical and subtropical bamboos that go really tall to 40'
or so tend to be deeper rooted but I can't see them doing too well in
London. Root/rhizomes a couple of feet down and still fairly thick I can
believe in the taller growing varieties that will survive in the UK.

Regards,
Martin Brown