Old 24-08-2011, 11:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Mortgage Lifter

songbird wrote:
Boron Elgar wrote:

So I planted some Mortgage Lifter tomatoes this year. The plants grew
very well, were most prolific in flowering, setting and ripening of
fruit.

The only problem is that the tomatoes are not wonderful. They look
fabulous. They would make ideal magazine shots or state fair entries,
but they are, at least to me, underweight for their size and have no
depth of flavor whatsoever.

aw!

thanks for saying. we've always been happy
with the beefsteaks. the past few years we
added the sweet 100s cherry tomatoes and they
are very good. two plants take up about 60sq
ft and keep producing so many we have plenty
to give away. i'd rather give away a half a
pint of cherry tomatoes instead of a three
pound beefsteak.

I have only two full size varieties growing this year (many cherry,
pear, patios, etc, as they bear and ripen earlier here), the MLs and
some identified only as "heirloom tomato" on the labeling, that
latter having been bought as a lark from a reduced rack at the local
grocery store.

I wish I knew what the "heirloom tomato" really was as it has
produced fruit that is everything that exemplifies a home grown
tomato with indescribably delicious complexity of taste.

the seeds should be reusable.

Really? You must have that Harry Potter wand and magic word that turns
plants back into seeds .... "Reverso tomaticus!"