Old 25-08-2011, 12:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Martin Riddle Martin Riddle is offline

Default Mortgage Lifter

"Boron Elgar" wrote in message
So I planted some Mortgage Lifter tomatoes this year. The plants grew
very well, were most prolific in flowering, setting and ripening of
fruit.

The only problem is that the tomatoes are not wonderful. They look
fabulous. They would make ideal magazine shots or state fair entries,
but they are, at least to me, underweight for their size and have no
depth of flavor whatsoever.

I have only two full size varieties growing this year (many cherry,
pear, patios, etc, as they bear and ripen earlier here), the MLs and
some identified only as "heirloom tomato" on the labeling, that latter
having been bought as a lark from a reduced rack at the local grocery
store.

I wish I knew what the "heirloom tomato" really was as it has produced
fruit that is everything that exemplifies a home grown tomato with
indescribably delicious complexity of taste.

It's fun gardening.

Boron

I planted Burpee Early (Don’t think they are Early girls) anyway, they
finally ripened and they are very good.
A nice tomato punch to the taste.
I'm still waiting for the Better Boys to Ripen, some of those suffered
blossom end rot.

The cherry 100's are plenty as usual.

Cheers